Thursday, September 6, 2012

Jordan Rudess - Sept 19th & 20th At The Iridium - New York City


Jordan Rudess plays ELP’s Tarkus and Originals

http://theiridium.com/events/1386/jordan-rudess-plays-elps-tarkus-and-originals/

Sept 19th - 8:00 PM - $35.00 -
Sept 19th - 10:00 PM - $35.00 -
Sept 20th - 8:00 PM - $35.00 -
Sept 20th - 10:00 PM - $35.00 -

With his solo record, The Road Home, the synth/piano giant dives headlong into a canon of music that inspired joyous upheaval and unprecedented creative discovery in his life. “I felt recording songs that were meaningful to me then – and now — would be fun and challenging at the same time,” Rudess says. “[Prog] changed my life, for sure, and took me off the purely classical path and firmly committed me to this other road of discovery.”



With the help of today’s leading prog talents (including friend/musical partner, Dixie Dregs drummer Rod Morgenstein), Rudess re-envisions Genesis’ 1976 jolting, jiggery-pokery gem “Dance on a Volcano” (with former Spock’s Beard frontman Neal Morse on vocals); ELP’s apocalyptic epic “Tarkus” (featuring Kip Winger and Porcupine Tree’s Steven Wilson); Yes’ fusion-esque, Minimoog/electric piano extravaganza “Sound Chaser” (from the oft-overlooked Relayer record); and the aforementioned “Just the Same.”

As the kicker, a seamless piano medley fuses bits of the Jon Anderson vocal showpiece “Soon”, Crimson’s gentle, supernatural  “I Talk to the Wind” (with vocals by Rudess), Yes’ “And You And I”, and Genesis’ sprawling, absurd “Supper’s Ready.”

“I wanted to play the right pieces and play the parts that I felt were really important to the composition,” says Rudess, who penned the original “A Piece of the π” for The Road Home. “I also added my own sections that aren’t there at all [in the original songs]. So there is a lot of originality even within these new arrangements.”

http://magnacarta.net/Jordan_Rudess/jordanrudess.html

No comments: